STEP ONE: COLLEGE ADMISSION
To be considered for admission to the Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant major, you must first be admitted to Mercy College of Health Sciences. Learn more about admission to Mercy College. Complete our FREE online Mercy College application. Early application is encouraged. Once admitted to Mercy College of Health Sciences, you may enroll in Core requirements prior to your admission to any academic major. If you are transferring credits, please visit our transfer page to learn more.
STEP TWO: PROGRAM ADMISSION
To be considered for admission to the PTA major applicants must meet the criteria below. Admission to the College does not guarantee admission to a major. Class size is limited. Students who have earned a previous Bachelor's, Associate of Arts (A.A.), or Associate of Science (A.S.) degree are considered to have met all Mercy College of Health Sciences Core requirements except for Servant Leadership.
1. Complete the program application.
2. Successful completion of program prerequisites prior to the technical portion of the program and must earn a grade of “C” (not C-) or higher in the following college-level courses:
- Human Anatomy (with lab)
- Human Physiology (with lab)
- Medical Terminology
- English Composition I
- Developmental Psychology
- College-level Math (College Algebra or higher)
3. Grade Point Average on a 4.0 scale:
- Earn an extracted GPA of 2.8 or higher from the prerequisites listed above (Medical Terminology is not included in the GPA calculation).
4. All Mercy College Core requirements must be completed prior to beginning the PTA major except for SVL 285, Servant Leadership, and BIO 225 or 302, Pathophysiology.
5. Provide documentation of 24 hours of observation in physical therapy department(s) with a minimum of at least two levels of care (e.g. acute care hospital, skilled nursing facility, home health, and outpatient physical therapy clinic).
6. Participate in a required program informational session.
Apply NowRequest Info