Mercy College’ Bowker, Plus Six Other Alumni Selected to the List of 100 Great Iowa Nurses for 2014
(Des Moines) – Mercy College of Health Sciences is pleased to announce that Dawn Bowker, Assistant Professor, in the School of Nursing, has been selected as a member of the 100 Great Iowa Nurses Program. The program recognizes outstanding nurses "that have made a meaningful and lasting contribution to humanity and the nursing profession, and recipients are viewed as mentors to others."
Bowker is joined in this group of 100 Iowa Great Nurses by six (6) other Mercy College nursing alumni:
- Brandi Booth, Diploma 1994 and BSN 2000, employed by Knoxville Hospital & Clinics;
- Michelle Collette, ASN 2002, employed by UnityPoint Health Des Moines;
- Amanda Jorgensen, ASN 2009 and BSN 2012, employed by UnityPoint Health Des Moines;
- Teresa Layland, BSN 2005, employed by Blank Children's Hospital;
- Barbara Rozenboom, Diploma 1988, employed by UnityPoint @ Home;
- Mary Jo Van Roekel, Diploma 1984, employed by Pella Regional Health Center.
According to Mercy College President Barbara Q. Decker, “This distinguished honor affirms the innovative approaches toward increasing cultural competency in the nursing profession that Dawn models with students in the community and immersion experiences. Mercy College is honored to be associated with the educational preparation of all six alumni who earned this honor in their respective fields of practice.”
This year, 500 nominations were received for this recognition program. The nominations are first evaluated by reviewers from around the state (all prior recipients). Final selection is determined by representatives of the Iowa Hospital Association, Iowa Nurses Association, Iowa Nurses Foundation and the University of Iowa College of Nursing.
Mercy College is the only Catholic college in central Iowa and is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC), and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA). To learn more about all of our health science academic programs, visit the College website at www.mchs.edu.